Saturday, July 4, 2009

3 weeks ago today

It has been a couple of days since I have updated with everyone. So I thought I would share an update that is very dear to me.

I spent some time this morning reflecting on what God has done in the past several weeks. Allow me to share some of these thoughts with you.

It was three weeks ago today that I left the urgent care center in an ambulance headed for one of the main hospitals in Grand Rapids. I was being transported under a Priority 1 status - the lights were flashing as we sped onto the highway.

Moments earlier I had heard the words - "Mark you are having a heart attack, we need to transport you to the hospital." A what? No this couldn't be happening to me... I'm strong... I'm active... 5 weeks ago you said there was nothing to worry about, your heart is strong. Did I tell you, I was hiking in the Rocky Mountains last week?

Decisions were being made with a moments notice. I remember laying there, thinking... My life as I know it is over. Will I make it? A couple of hours later, I heard the words from a doctor in the Cath Lab saying, "Mark, it's not good...there's a lot of damage...we need to talk to your family." What? This can't be happening to me. I'm too young for this.

Over the next several days, I learned that there were thousands of people praying for me. That God would heal me... I refined that prayer into a very simple prayer of faith - "Jesus, heal my heart." As you all know now, it took almost two weeks for the surgeon to make a final decision that syrgery would be the best option for me.

As I reflected again today - I know that during this time, Jesus was healing my heart. He was performing His miracle in my body. Tests earlier the week before revealed that there was probably too much damage to the heart and that I probably wouldn't benefit from surgery. But God was at work - We were expecting a miracle.

As you know, I was gaining strength before surgery which has proven to be beneficial to my recover since surgery. I have now been at home since Tuesday afternoon. I am gaining strength everyday. It's good to go outside for my walks.

There is so much more I could share with you, but I won't bore you any more. Other than to say, "We have an Amazing Heavenly Father, who loves everyone of us so much - even to the point of taking our place." I may bear the scars of a heart surgery, but He has healed the wounds. He has healed my heart.

As I was reflecting today, God brought this passage to my mind:

Isaiah 40:30-31 "Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

Even though I still have a long road to full recovery, the journey has begun well. His strength has been mine. I will follow as He leads.

Thanks for your continued prayers and love.

Mark

6 comments:

  1. It is humbling to see God's care for Mark, Carla and family during this time! God has definitely set His seal on their lives! This is not our doing, it is His!

    We all feel that this is an indication that there are great things ahead for Mark.

    His grandpa Ermal Wilson, at 92 years of age, indicated that Mark probably has the best years of his life ahead of him!

    I am awed at Mark's faith, and his clear testimony for the Living Christ, who indeed healed his heart!

    Dad Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark -
    This morning in worship we sang, He Knows My Name....and I thought of you, and your heart, which God formed.
    I have a Maker; He formed my heart.
    Before even time began,
    My life was in His hands.
    I have a Father; He calls me his own.
    He'll never leave me no matter where I go.
    He knows my name. He knows my every thought.
    He sees each tear that falls
    And hears me when I call!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the update, Mark!
    We had so much faith that you would pull through this.
    The passage that you cited, Isaiah 40:30-31, has recently become one of my favorites. My husband Marty LOVES eagles. They are everywhere in our home, and even on a few of his T-Shirts. I believe he is humbled by them in a way.
    For Father’s Day we had him a new T-shirt made. It is a picture of an eagle soaring with that passage printed on the picture. He wore it to church that morning and YUP, guess what the church passed out to all fathers? YUP.
    An Eagle bookmark with that passage printed on it!
    Then, I log in tonight to catch up with Mark’s world and front-row-center is the passage yet again.
    What is that saying… if you se it once…twice… three times?
    Anyway, I just wanted to share.
    Soar, Mark…Soar.
    Our God is an Awesome God!
    Health, blessings, Peace and Love;
    Lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ty for the update. you really scared us! I lost my father very early, and i prayed fervently to keep you here with them. this has probably been the hardest month of their lives. Praise God, He loves us and gives good gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. God is perfect. His ability and willingness to intercede on behalf of his people is boundless. Prayer is real it reaches the very throne-room of God and He hears and answers our prayers as long as 1) It is His will. 2) If we pray BELIEVING it will happen. To God be the glory for the things He has done.

    ReplyDelete